Happy new year in advance lovelies! I hope we all are in good spirits in readiness for the new year. I know even as we take stock and get in the cross-over mood, A lot of us are still thinking about the New Year’s day special lunch; and if you are one of those who went all out for Christmas and has decided to settle for something tasty yet simple then Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore With Potatoes will be a good idea.
- 6 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin on or off
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (more if needed )
- 2 pounds | 1 kg baby potatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (or 8 cloves)
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 small yellow pepper (capsicum), deseeded and diced
- 1 small red pepper (capsicum), deseeded and diced
- 2 medium-sized carrot, peeled and sliced
- 14 oz | 410g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 oz | 400g bottle tomato passata (tomato sauce or puree)
- 150 ml red wine (optional — substitute with beef broth IF DESIRED)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil and oregano
- 1 cube bullion (beef), crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to your taste)
- pepper (adjust to your taste)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup pitted black olives
- (OPTIONAL STEP): Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a small amount of oil in a pan or skillet. Sear skin-side down (if using skin on thighs) first for 3 minutes, until deep golden brown. Rotate and sear the other side for a further 3 minutes.
- Arrange the potatoes in a 6qt slow cooker bowl in single layer. Place the chicken over the potatoes; and add the rest of the ingredients over the chicken (except olives and mushrooms). Stir to combine; cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours, until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone. Add in the mushrooms and olives in the last 30 minutes of cooking. Season with extra salt, to your tastes and serve.
- Serve over rice, pasta
For those who love to try new recipes, I hope you enjoy this one!